May 14, 2013


With the Roman Tribune project out of the way, finally I could go on with the Romeo Models 75 mm Spanish Noble. So here is a little update on the work done in the last couple of days.

At this moment I call the face, hair, lace collar and breast plate finished. I have fixed the head but the hat has been attached with UHU-Tac only for the purpose of the photos, however. The painting of the hat is on the way too.

Inspired by Danilo Cartacci, I have been playing with the idea already a long time, but finally I took the plunge and started experimenting with the so-called technique of 'pre-shading' of the acrylic undercoats. In fact this is nothing more than a simple sketch in acrylics emphasizing on the areas of light and shade - in his book Danilo calls it 'chiaroscuro'.

As most oil colours are semi or fully transparent - even those announced as opaque - this preliminary drawing of the shades and highlights can be very helpful to create extra depth. At the same time it acts also as some sort of guide for the next oil painting stages; it is a bit like painting by numbers, so to speak.

Below's picture shows this pre-shading thing on the jacket, trousers and waistband. I tried to make the colour transitions as subtle as possible but, as you can see, I succeded only marginaly - better said: not at all! Getting the hang of acrylics is obviously very hard but I have set my mind on trying to master them better and better - without betraying on my oils of course!

Although I had some worries that the harsh acrylic colour transitions would reveal themselves through the oils, the result after the first oil painting session is not bad at all. And no doubt that further oil glazes to emphasize the highlights and shadows will hide any obvious colour transition that still can be seen now.

This chiaroscuro technique definitely has its use and I expect to do more experimenting with it in the future to come.

As always, thank you for your interest and stay tuned for more...